Monday, July 18, 2005

Recently Viewed

OK, I know I always blog about things specifically related to The Source's ministry here at Grace. Today I have a couple films I have recently seen on my mind. A couple weeks back Lisa and I watched To End All Wars. The film follows Earnest Gordon's experience in a Japanese POW camp in WWII and shows graphic examples of human cruelty and the power to forgive and hope that comes with a deep understanding of the penetrating forgiveness Christ offers.

I've heard about this film for some time, but only just got around to getting it onto my Netflix and watching it. I was struck by the way the film ends. Gordon is riding away from the camp in a truck having just been liberated by American soldiers and he asks,
  • How many times shall I forgive my brother?
  • What does it mean to love one's enemies?
  • What can a man give in exchange for his soul?
  • These are the questions that I faced in my prison camp...
  • ...The answers changed my life forever.
The film exposed to me the pettiness of the offenses I take up. It revealed to me that forgiveness is powerful and costly. Here was a battalion of men who lived in an environment of hatred and selfishness and oppression and yet forgiveness and self-sacrifice broke through and transformed the camp—from the prisoners to the guards. What a wonderful illustration of Jesus' words in John 13:35, “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

This weekend my brother-in-law, Matt, and I watched Hotel Rwanda together. I don't know how to capture my response to this film other than to say it shows an international antithesis of the message of To End All Wars. The world sat by and watched one of the worst genocides in history. I was moved by my own ignorance of the plight of the Rwandan people. I remember seeing news reports, but not thinking much of it. I even got online after the film to research other places in the world where this type of thing is taking place today. To our missionary friends here at Grace and others of you we know and love around the world, I was convicted of my infrequent and half-hearted prayers for you. Some of you are in areas very affected by similar issues. On the other hand, Paul Rusesabagina's story of self-sacrifice testifies to the impact one person can make even in the midst of a heinous situation.

Taking these films together, it is clear to me that to end all wars, the Gospel must be celebrated, proclaimed and living out among every people, tribe and tongue. What other hope is there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen To End All Wars, but I did see Hotel Rwanda over July 4th weekend. If there was ever any doubt that evil exists in this world, that movie removed all of it.

I do agree that the world's response to Rwanda was very different from the response given in WWII. My thing is to what extent is the US responsible for the affairs of other nations? Are we to get involved in all conflicts, or only those that concern us economically? Where do we draw the line, and where do we extend a helping hand? I'm not really sure, which is why I ask.

I definitely agree that the end of all wars can only come after Armaggedon when Christ comes back and we are rid of sin and Satan

Unknown said...

Steve,

I'm glad to see you're watching some great movies. I remember recommending "To End All Wars" that one day at lunch...

I had an opportunity to speak with the filmmakers for that film, and they really represent a growing trend among Christians in the film industry - make a quality product that infuses touches of our Creator.

The role of a film-maker should be to make the audience ask the right questions and think about the right subjects. It's the role of the church to provide answers.

All this talk of movies... should we do another movie night at the beach?