Tuesday, January 24, 2006

humble progress

While Pastor Tim is probing the intellectual depths of our artistic insights (by the way, I think the picture has something to do with Matthew's context--the glory of the Transfiguration and the ensuing scene with the disciples inability to cure the demonized boy...but don't tell him I said anything!), I had my bike ride from Saturday on my mind! I'm far less profound than him! In all my pride I have to boast that I reached a new milestone (literally!) last Friday--I did a three-beach tour on my bike. I hit Morro Bay, Port San Luis and Pismo in one shot and reached a new record of 55 miles in one ride. It was a beautiful day (too windy though!) and I found myself praising God for the majesty of His Creation (If that's what He can make, what must He, as the Creator be like!). If you didn't get outside last Friday, all I can say is, I feel bad for you.

So there I was on my best ride to date, moving along at a steady 22mph, and
feeling great about the ride and myself. I was riding south on Higuera toward the freeway frontage road and began to think about how good I'm becoming again on the bike. (You might be wondering where I got the "humble" part of the progress about now!) Right as I was thinking this and feeling really good about myself I went under the freeway overpass and heard someone call out "LEFT!" behind me. Almost immediately a guy went by me as if I were standing still. He didn't look winded, or even like he was trying. Between a tiny decent and a little tail wind (and a dose of invigorated pride) I got up to 26mph. He continued to move away from me, though a little less quickly. It was about that point I remembered that it's just good for me to be on my bike getting a little exercise. It's so easy to be competitive and so easy to let our pride rear up. At the end of the day though I'm pleased I rode a little further than last time. I'm delighted I'm riding at all. Best of all, I got to be surrounded by God's creation and to reflect on Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Two posts in two days! That hasn't happened since the Turkey Bowl and Christmas party announcements. Yay! What a treat :-)

Your comment regarding getting out last Friday reminded me of your post back on December 14. So while you were out enjoying the beatiful weather, the rest of us were in class, studying, or working at our part-time jobs.

55 miles seems quite far to me. Good for you. I suppose if I had to travel 55 miles by bike, SLO County would be the place to do it.

Anonymous said...

Glad you make cycling part of your life. Careful, it can be consuming!

Great to hear about the experience with the multiple beach ride. As far as the wind is concerned, you've seen nothing yet. Spring is not even here yet and for some reason, it's always in your face no matter what time of day it is. Heck, just consider it great resistance training.

Being real, cycling gives you great time to think spiritually and reflect on God's great gifts! Take it in and enjoy it. Be competetive it's ok. Just give the Glory to Him at the same time you give the others a little breathing exercise.

Enjoy bro - also, did I mention it's great having you here on the CC...

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too badly, Steve. There are many professional cyclists in the area training and preparing for the upcoming Tour of California race. The Discovery Team is in Solvang! Just think, you could have been pacing yourself against the likes of George Hincapie! (Can you tell my husband loves cycling?)