Monday, January 23, 2006

body life

Last night's baptism service was amazing. I tend to find myself thinking of a baptism service as kind of like the vegetable of church life. It's good for you and all, but when push comes to shove, it's easy to allow other things to take priority. As I sat there last night listening to people share their testimonies it was more like eating the center of a warm, gooey cinamon roll with that tastey white frosting on top! Why do I think in such analogies you may ask...I don't know! Don't overanalyze it, just go with it. The point is, it was some of the sweetest time I can think of being together with the Body of Christ I can think of in recent memory. Let me share a couple stories that stuck with me.

Lindsay, a sophomore in high school, share how she has signed up to be baptized 5 times, only to find out she had a to have another surgery on her foot (Lindsay has had an ongoing issue with a broken foot). She shared how the Lord has taught her that suffering is a real part of living as a Christian in this world. SHe read 2 Cor. 12:9-10 for us, "9 But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

There was Tim too. A man who has attended Grace Church for 18 years. 2 years ago, in the midst of a life focused on success, the Lord broght his job to an abrupt end. Through this experience he was convicted of his need for Jesus and gave his life to Christ! The Gospel changes everything.

Cameron is a college student who was driven to make an impact that would hcange the world through aerospace engineering. God, through a unique set of circumstances, brought him to the Bible where he was convicted of the foolishness of his pursuits. He gave his life to Christ and is now leading a Bible study.

These are just quick sample stories where the power of the Gospel to change and sustain lives is tremendously evident. I didn't do a great job promoting baptism in college ministry and after last night, I particularly regret that. Here, in the midst of our series on the Church, we missed one of it's unique expressions. Where else do people gather to watch others get symbolically dunked underwater in response to their beliefs? We prayed, we heard testimony of the living God changing lives, we worshipped and were challenged and encouraged. If yo've never been baptized, I want to challenge you to begin thinking about it now. When we have another baptism service in a couple months, consider getting into the water! If you've been baptized, next time come and celebrate and worship with the church family. Grab some friends and make a night of it--you won't be sorry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I think your description of baptism as the vegetable of church life is all too accurate. I'm glad to hear that it ended up more like a cinnamon roll.

It definitely sounds like there were some God-glorifying stories told on Sunday.

I say we pack the next baptism service with college students!