Wednesday, August 3, 2005

...a 95% chance

So, my beautiful wife and I went in for an ultrasound. We decided that we would find out the gender, and... well... we did. The ultrasound technician said that she was 95% sure that the gender was going to be what she said it was going to be.

As soon as she used the specific pronoun that revealed to me the sex of our next kid, I began to think of everything else in my life that has a 95% probability of happening...

There is now...

  • ...a 95% chance of me owning a shotgun.
  • ...a 95% chance of me going bankrupt.
  • ...a 95% chance of me and my sons taking monthly retreats.
  • ...a 95% chance of me looking at the opposite gender babies in the nursery with suspicion and mistrust.
  • ...a 95% chance of me being too strict.
  • ...a 95% chance of my child getting way with anything.
  • ...a 95% chance of me having tea parties.
  • ...a 95% chance of our family having a "no dating until age 35" rule.
  • ...a 95% chance of me purchasing surveilance equipment for my house, cars, etc...
  • ...a 95% chance of me psychologically damaging my child for life.
  • ...a 95% chance of me being challenged in ways I can't yet fathom.
  • ...a 95% chance of me being blessed in ways I can't imagine.
  • ...a 95% chance of God teaching me to trust Him more fully.
  • ...a 95% chance of me learning humility, patience and understanding.
That's right. There's a 95% chance that we're having a girl. As many of you know, I have two wonderful sons, Zak and Eliot. Boys I can handle. Boys I understand. But a girl?!! Now what?!

My wife (and Zak) are ecstatic. Zak wanted a sister, so it looks like God is answering his prayer. Of course, I am excited too, but... I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a tad bit nervous.

I can't wait to see what God's going to do next with my family! She's scheduled to arrive on December 22nd. Zak's birthday is Christmas day, so who knows, we may have two Chrsitmas babies!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cogratz!

I gotta pray really hard that she will look like your wife.

Tee hee...

Anonymous said...

My poor sweet husband - I'm just trying to level the playing field. All I need is 1 more on my side to make it even.

Unknown said...

What are you talking about?! 2 against three is already tilted in your favor! The 3 of us could barely hold our own against you!

Anonymous said...

Hurray for girls! Phillip, if it's any encouragement to you, you have bleesed me and I'm a girl. And you married a girl and she sure loves you. So I'm sure your baby girl will be blessed too. When are you going to reveal to her your true batman identity?

Anonymous said...

that's what you get for making fun of my husband for the fact that we got a girl. yeah...a beautiful friend for ella to play with. i've been secretly praying that you guys would get a girl. I'm SO happy for you, two. congratulations. we'll pray together!

dwight_house said...

congrats Phil and family. I'll be praying for you and your family as you start down a new road with this little one.

Kevin Heldt said...

Congrats you guys! And Phillip you're stoked -- take it from me: daughters rock! I haven't had a son yet to compare, but I can imagine she'll crush your heart into smithereens in a way you have yet to experience. Nice 95% list by the way -- I particularly enjoyed the shotgun part. :)

Anonymous said...

Well Phillip,

Now that she's here, what do you think? I'm betting you are going to be amazed at how flexible your spine becomes as she wraps you around here pinky finger.

Congratulations and good luck!

"Uncle" Rog