Thursday, July 7, 2005

Freshmen Invasion

I got to meet with our new class of freshmen guys at Denny's for breakfast yesterday. All I can say is look out! This group of guys is thoughtful, fun loving, eager to serve and devoted to the Lord (not necessarily in that order!). We talked about what an amazing opportunity the Lord is giving us in Fall when 3,500 Freshmen begin and end a day in downtown SLO in Mitchell Park right across the street from our campus! I'm in the process of signing us up so that Grace has a booth in Mission Plaza and our church is a part of the downtown tour! These students' eyes lit up as we explored the ministry possibilities that are opening up right on our front door step. For those of you are out of town for the summer, I think you're going to find that this is a class to be reckoned with--and many of them will be sticking around to attend Cuesta and Poly in the Fall! These guys are fired up to get in and serve and to engage in ministry--It's obvious how the Lord has been using Ken Peet and our high school ministry to mentor and train this group.

I eagerly anticipate the return of those of our group who have gone home for the summer break. Our Student leadership had some great discussion in May about how to take advantage of the influx of new students and the time of new beginnings that is so much a part of Fall. WOW week, SLO Bound, Pizza lunches in Mitchell Park, Fall Kick Off, college focused Growth Groups, service opportunities and more were all put on the table as ways we might run with all the Lord is putting before us in this season. Start praying now about how the Lord might want to work in and through you when September rolls around--it will be here quickly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to meet with some of the freshmen yesterday. That's awesome. I'm sure you extended a warm welcome from all of us. I'm glad that so many of them will be sticking around. I, personally, look forward to meeting them. Thanks, Ken, for raising up such people to join us in ministry as they leave the high school group.

I'm definitely looking forward to the fall. I especially look forward to the pizza in the park :-)

I'll definitely be praying for the start of the year, and how we will be able to impact Cal Poly and Cuesta for God.