Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Prayer precedes Words

Well here we go, my inaugural attempt at the world of blogging! The first hurdle I had to clear was 'Do I have anything to say worthy of posting??' I guess you will ultimately be the judge of that!
I've been going back through the book 'Life Together' by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Pastor Tim graciously gave the elder board this book at our last pastor/elder retreat, and I have been greatly challenged by his thoughts on Christian community. In the very first chapter (pg.36) Bonhoeffer contrasts human love with spiritual love in the context of the Christian community and says:
'Thus this spiritual love will speak to Christ about a brother more than to a brother about Christ. It knows that the most direct way to others is always through prayer to Christ and that love of others is wholly dependent upon the truth in Christ.'
How often are we guilty of going to our brother and sharing with them the Christ that they need or even worse sharing the Christ we think we have?! We often forget that the most powerful tool God puts into our hand is prayer!

No comments: