Sunday, November 19, 2006

holding fast the word of life?

Last week it was Ted Haggard, this week it's Rev. Brian Moon who "has come up with ideas for his sermons after water-skiing, while watching "My Name Is Earl" on TV and while working on his 1969 Buick muscle car." One of our college students forwarded me this article (originally published in the Wall Street Journal but available here). Two things quickly come to mind when I see this article on the froont page of the one of hte most prestigious papers in the world. 1) Was it a slow news week or what? This is a front page story?? 2) I've seen pastors lose their pastorates over this. May we all take seriously Paul's exhortation to "hold fast the world of life in the world" (Phil 2:16) and all the hard work that comes with preaching the word of life. It is time consuming, hard work to learn the history of the ancient world(s), to grasp the literature of the Bible and to bring to bear an unchanging message to those who live today. Nevertheless, that is the task of those who teach and preach the Bible. Funny stories win crowds. The gospel is foolish to the world we live in. Plagarizing other pastors' sermons is not only foolish, but embarrasing. May we follow the example of Paul the Apostle in these things...

1And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. 2For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, 4and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. (1 Corinthians 2:1-5)

No comments: