Thursday, July 13, 2006

number 3?

While not exactly the hand of God, seeing Floyd Landis in le maillot jaune (yellow jersey) in this year's Tour de France today has made me very happy. After seeing prerace favorites Jan Ullirch and Ivan Basso (Tour favorites) yanked because of a dping scandal and Alejandro Valverde crash out of the race with a broken collar bone early on, I've been looking for a brighter spot on this year's race. Those of you in SLO might remember Landis coming through town as the race leader and eventual winner of the Tour of California. He went on to win two more races this season--the Tour de Georgia and Paris-Nice. He's had a great year so far despite suffering from a terribly damaged hip joint. Right now he stands as this year's favorite to win. If he does he will be the third American in the 93 year history of the Tour to win after Greg LeMond (3) and Lance Armstrong (7). Go Landis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My big surprise was big George Hincapie sitting something like 27 minutes back now. I had such high hopes that someone of my stature could win the tour, but alas my hopes are shattered.