Tuesday, April 5, 2005

Why Do We Pray? part 2 of 4

Yesterday I started a four part blog series based on Sunday’s message entitled “Why Do We Pray?” I mentioned that I approached the subject from this angle after first examining why I don’t pray enough. Maybe after examining the reasons why we should pray, we will better be able to address the reasons why we don’t.

The four reasons why we should pray, as discussed on Sunday, are as follows:

Today, I want to take a look at reason #2:

2. Because Prayer Changes Us

The habit of prayer takes us into the throne room of God. This is an experience that can not leave us unchanged. It is there, in God’s presence as we list our needs to Him, that we commune with God – and He with us. George MacDonald puts it this way:

"What if God knows prayer to be the thing we need first and most? What if the main object in God's idea of prayer is a supplying of our great, our endless need--the need of Himself? . . . Hunger may drive the runaway child home, and he may or may not be fed at once, but he needs his parents more than his dinner. Communion with God is the one need of the soul beyond all other need.

I love that image. I come to God, hungry for my own needs, but it is His presence that I need more than anything.

Another aspect in the way that we are changed is that prayer submits our will to His. Here’s another great quote: “We must alter our lives in order to alter our hearts, for it is impossible to live one way and pray another.” - William Law

Praying for His will to be done – and not ours – forces us to rearrange our own priorities to be more like His.

And finally, Oswald Chambers puts it this way in My Utmost for His Highest – “We look upon prayer as a means of getting things for our selves; the Bible idea of prayer is that we may get to know God Himself.”

Our walk with God is like any other relationship. We become like the people we spend our time with. The fact that our being in His presence shapes us more into His image should be all the motivation we need to pray.

I appreciate your comments on yesterday’s blog on the reasons why you find prayer to be a struggle. Today, I’m curious to find out how prayer has changed you recently. Please leave a comment! I love to know that you guys are reading and engaging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

praying more...even over just these 2 days, has made me more eager to spend time in God's word. I've been worrying less, as I've been trying to put more into God's power and out of mine...amazing what a little praying can do...